Electromobility made easy. Electric trucks are here.12/04/18
A smooth transition with Volvo Trucks
Volvo Trucks want to make the transition towards electromobility easy. The approach is holistic; offering solutions based on each customer’s individual needs like driving cycles, load capacity, uptime, range and other parameters. Always with the aim to offer customers high uptime and productivity. With the full picture, we offer the right mix of products and services to optimise daily operations. We back this up with the security of a global dealer network.
Noise means strain on both people and the environment. Electric trucks make it possible to significantly lower noise levels and noise-related pollution.
Cleaner city air
Electromobility is an important part of Volvo Trucks’ ambition to move towards our vision of zero emissions and we are working with cities around the world that are actively seeking to improve air quality.
Better traffic flow
Quieter trucks can make it possible to perform a wide range of assignments during off-peak hours such as early mornings, late evenings or even at night. This reduces the burden on the roads during peak traffic hours.
Better working days
Electric trucks make life easier for drivers. A quieter drive along with zero exhaust emissions are the basis for a significantly improved working environment both in and outside the vehicle. And since an electric truck provides full power and torque from standstill as well as significantly lower driveline induced vibrations, it’s also a pleasant driving experience.
We’re immensely proud to present the first in a range of fully electrically-powered Volvo trucks ready for regular traffic. With this model we are making it possible for cities that aim for sustainable urban development to benefit from the advantages of electrified truck transports.
President Volvo Trucks
Facts Volvo FL Electric
- Fully electrically-powered truck for distribution, refuse collection and other applications in urban conditions, GVW 16 tonnes.
- Driveline: 185 kW electric motor, max power/130 kW continuous output, two speed transmission, propeller shaft, rear axle. Max torque electric motor 425 Nm. Max torque rear axle 20 kNm.
- Energy storage: 2–6 lithium-ion batteries, totalling 100–300 kWh.
- Range: Up to 300 km.
- Charging: AC charging via the mains grid (22 kW) or DC fast charge via CCS/Combo2 for up to 150 kW.
- Recharging time: From empty to fully charged batteries: fast charge 1–2 hours (DC charging), night charge up to 10 hours (AC charging) with maximum battery capacity of 300 kWh.
- The first two Volvo FL Electric trucks will be operated by refuse collection and recycling company Renova and haulage firm TGM.
- The Off Peak City Distribution project studied the effects of goods transport at night in central Stockholm. By avoiding peak hour traffic the trucks were able to do their jobs in one-third of the time compared to daytime operation.